When: Monday, October 17, 5 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Where: NELHA Gateway Center
Presenter: Gwen Jacobs, Director of Cyberinfrastructure, UH System

Pacific islands increasingly face unique challenges to their freshwater resources due to climate change and development. These urgent challenges affect a range of fundamental needs, including freshwater availability and the security and sustainability of food and water supplies. In recent years, Hawai‘i has experienced decreased rainfall, higher evaporation rates, and declining stream flows. These trends are compounded by rising sea levels, changes in land use and increasing demands from population growth including groundwater contamination.

`Ike Wai (literally, knowledge of water) is a collaborative project between the University of Hawai‘i, Hawaii State Departments of Health and Land and Natural Resources, Honolulu Board of Water Supply, Hawai‘i County Department of Water Supply, U.S. Geological Survey and community partners to create a data driven, sustainable water future for the state of Hawai‘i and its Pacific neighbors. It will integrate cutting edge hydrological research with community input and economic modeling to develop decision support tools that improve water policy and planning.

Gwen Jacobs is the Principal Investigator of the project, and Director of Cyberinfrastructure in the UH system. Also in attendance will be Greg Chun, the Government and Community Engagement Lead.

After the presentation, we will have pupus, drinks, and conversation. We are informal and it is potluck, so please bring a pupu and non-alcoholic beverage to share. Reusable plates and cups are encouraged, as is taking home your own trash.

Agenda:

5:00-5:15 p.m. Gather and Networking
5:15-6:15 p.m. Presentation and Q&A
6:15-7:30 p.m. More Networking, pupus

Video of the presentation:

NELHA Gateway Center